THERCAST® is the world leading, and only proven 3D simulation solution for continuous casting processes. More than 20 years of experience and development with market leaders like Arcelor Mittal, Ascometal, Aubert & Duval have made THERCAST® the most reliable and most recognized solution on the market.
What makes THERCAST® trully different is its unique solver. THERCAST® uses a full 3D thermo-mechanical solver. This solver resolves all physical equations from liquid to solid at the same increment instead of running several solvers by "layers". Consequently the influence of all physical parameters are seamlessly computed, and can interact with each other in real time. In a nutshell, fully coupled simulation provides better and more accurate results.
Also, THERCAST® comes with a unique grain orientation represenation using a cellular automata (CAFE) technique, for a complete analysis of your process and product.
THERCAST® is an all-inclusive software, which comes by default with the complete set of capabilities.
There is no need to buy additional modules with THERCAST®.
To understand the way we license our software, please refer to the Licensing Policy section.
THERCAST® simulates the casting process from the tundish to primary cooling, and secondary cooling.
In the Tundish, the coupled fluid dynamic solver together with the thermo-mechanical solver make it possible to analyze the metal flow in the tundish. THERCAST® provides insight on the metal flow, which enables metallurgists, and engineers to understand if the metal will transition from agitated to laminar before reaching the nozzle to feed the caster in the primary cooling. Major caster manufacturers use THERCAST® to design their new tundishes.
In the Primary Cooling zone, THERCAST® can take any parameters of the caster into consideration, that is:
* The design of the molds with the taper
* The design of the water channels or water box
* The air gap created during metal shrinkage
During the solid metal shell formation, THERCAST® shows if the taper is well calibrated. The air gap is taken into consideration so that the Heat Transfer Coefficient (or Heat Flux) is modified as soon as the metal loses the contact with the mold. The Heat Flux of the mold is a result of the simulation that the engineer can directly compare to its current mold heat flux.
Several tapers can be easily tested to make sure you have the best design possible. The user can also test several casting speeds to see the impact on the solid metal shell created at the bottom of the mold. THERCAST® will show the breakout if it occurs at the bottom of the mold.
In the Secondary Cooling zone, THERCAST® takes any modification of each single nozzle and roll into consideration. Thanks to its unique Continuous Caster Builder Tool, the user can enter all information about its caster (spray nozzles location, rolls location, HTC to each spray nozzle,...). After building the caster reference, the user can easily modify any parameter and test his or her new solution. For example, what happens if one or several nozzles get clogged? With THERCAST® , you just try and see. It is also an excellent educative tool.
THERCAST® is the complete solution for the analysis of your continuous casting process. It covers the Tundish down to the end of the secondary cooling zone. In addition, together with our solid material forming solution FORGE®, Transvalor offers the only seamless solution on the market for the analysis of the full process from Tundish to finished rolled product. Watch the video here.
The material definition is the cornerstone of simulation. However, when it comes to characterize a grade from liquid to solid there is very few solutions available. Here is what we have done at Transvalor to provide the most reliable solution to our customers.
* Materials Database: THERCAST® comes with its own material database. This material database has been developed through the different industrial projects that have led to the "birth" of THERCAST®. The major types of grades are available in this database (Low Carbon Steels, Stainless Steels, Aluminum), which make it possible to start working with THERCAST® mostly by comparison. These material characterizations have been validated by the industrial partners during the projects and can be trusted for their accuracy.
* Materials from JMatPro: JMatPro is a material simulation software from the UK-based company Sente Software. They have designed a well recognized simulation software for the generation of material properties. Transvalor and Sente Software have joined forces early on, and all materials from JMatPro are compatible with all our software. It is the only practical and affordable solution to acquire a large materials database. JMatPro is the only simulation solution on the market to provide data for thermomechanical computation.
* Material Experiments: Transalor has always offered the possibility to generate your own material from experimental data. Any experimental data can be plugged into Transvalor Simulation Solutions. However, and as mentionned at the begining of this section, it is costly and time-consuming to characterize a grade for thermo-mechanical computation as it is done with THERCAST®.
* ThermoCalc: ThermoCalc is a well-known simulation solution in the steel making industry. It is possible to export data from ThermoCalc and plug them into THERCAST®. However, since ThermoCalc provides thermal data only, THERCAST® will only be able to use these data for a Pure Thermal type of calculation.
MOST RELIABLE SOLUTION
Since 1984, Transvalor has repeatedly proven to be the expert in Finite Elements Method (FEM) technologies. Transvalor is born of Research and has maintained a strong association with the Center for Material Forming (CEMEF), a research center of the prestigious MinesParisTech, whose main activities are centered around material forming and numerical computation. This partnership provides a constant flow of advanced scientific developments that translate into innovative new functionalities to Transvalor’s products for the benefit of our customers.
Meshing techniques are the at the center of the Transvalor/CEMEF partnership. Meshing and re-meshing techniques are the make-or-brake of FEM simulations. We believe there is no other vendor to this day able to compete with the technology of our re-meshing algorithms, and their reliability.
What it means for the end user, is the guarantee that the simulation will not crash. Crashes are a waste of time, and bring a degree of frustration to the designer. Our philosophy is that crashes have no place in our solutions. The re-meshing technique is the most common reason for crashes. When the process parameters are entered properly, the simulation should complete without incident. Our expertise in this area makes us the most reliable solution on the market.
In addition to our re-meshing technique, our solvers have been crash-proofed for over three decades. Our developers pay particular attention to the quality of their coding to ensure the highest solver quality possible. Our development team continuously works on optimizing the code to decrease the computation time, and remove potential risk of conflict.
Finally, our experience in casting for more than 30 years makes Transvalor the most knowledgeable, and reliable partner in FEM simulation solutions. We have worked with your industry long enough to understand your priorities, your challenges. We work for you and with you, to bring you the best simulation solution for your business.
Scalability for a simulation solution such as THERCAST® is the software ability to use more computational cores in order to reduce the global computation time of the simulation.
THERCAST® is known to be one of the fastest simulation software on the market at equal number of computational cores, but where THERCAST® stands out in a crowd of other simulation software is its ability to efficiently use large number of
cores for simulation calculation.
With multi-processor computers becoming significantly more affordable, larger and larger computing
server configurations are finding their ways into engineering departments. THERCAST® will efficiently
scale up to 64 cores with sustained performance gain when cores are added. When others choke at
the 8 processor mark, THERCAST® keeps climbing. THERCAST® is the most capable simulation sotware
to fully utilize the new computing capacity available to engineering departments.
THERCAST® offers an un-matched parallel efficiency already and our teams are unyieldingly working to
make it even better.
But, although using more cores to speed-up simulation computations is generally efficient to improve
computation time, it is not the only solution, Transvalor is also working in other directions.
Improving the efficiency of our solvers is an every day concern.